In What Order Should I Apply My Makeup Products?

Hi! I'm Nicole Toledo, a makeup artist based in Denver, Colorado. After many years of doing makeup, I have decided to start a blog. I have taught so many clients how to apply their makeup and it seems that there are some common "Ah-Ha moments." Many of those revolve around the order of applying makeup products.

My favorite trick is do do concealer after eyeshadow. I use it to clean up any of the excess shadow that may have fallen or just to clean up the general shape of the eyeliner or eyeshadow. There is nothing worse than having to take off and reapply your concealer because of some eyeshadow fallout or a mascara smudge. What a waste of time and product! Try this and you will thank me.

Apply your concealer AFTER your foundation. Your foundation should cover most of what you're trying to hide, such as any redness, discoloration, and breakouts. You will need very little concealer if you apply it in this order. Also, if you start covering any flaws with concealer first, you end up having on almost a full face of concealer, then you add a full face of foundation, or even top it off with powder?? That is where the cakey foundation look comes from, ladies.

Some of my favorite concealers are Trish McEvoy Correct and Brighten, Trish McEvoy Instant Eye Lift, and NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer.


 





Unless you are going for a super dramatic look, apply your lip liner after your lipstick. This will give you a natural,but perfected look without that lip liner-y look that is oh so 90's. Applying lip liner after lipstick will still help you enhance and perfect the look of your lips while still keeping your lipstick from bleeding. Try it and see how it works for you. 

My favorites are the Cremestick Liners from MAC and the Smashbox Always Sharp Lip Liners.







For eyeshadow, there are so many tricks that I will save for a later blogpost, but the one I would like to bring to you today is that after you apply your eye primer, you should apply your CREASE color, then add your lid color, brow highlight, etc. This really allows your eyes to look more three dimensional and "pop." Remember to always use a matte medium tone for your crease. This will carve out the shape of your eye better than a shimmery or super dark shade. We will discuss more about this later. Some of my favorite shades for the crease are Wedge, Cork, Quarry, Haux, and Saddle from MAC Cosmetics.





I would like to end my first blogpost by saying makeup is an art form. There are no hard fast rules that you must abide. Have fun with makeup! These are just tips and tricks that I love to share with my clients because they have made my personal and professional make up look better.
Have fun and be creative!
Love, Nicole


www.nicoletoledomakeupartistry.com


















Comments

Popular Posts